Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sugar, Sugar... Oh, Honey.




I admit it, there are still things that I know I "shouldn't" eat, but that I always seem to find an excuse for eating...
I know I talk all authoritatively about how I've healed and what diet to follow and such, but really, I'm human too. Even after two years of having to cut foods out of my diet, I still struggle with cravings for things.

This problem totally reminds me of this Kids in the Hall video:




Except in my brain it's: "Don't eat chocolate... don't drink wine... don't eat ice cream...don't eat chocolate........... EAT CHOCOLATE, EAT ICE CREAM, DRINK WINE...."

Yep.

I've known since my teenage years that I've had blood sugar issues. Until recently, I didn't know exactly how the delicate symphony of body processes were effecting my blood sugar, and what I could do to help correct my symphony that had gone way off key.

This website goes into some detail about these processes and various bodily systems that are effected by imbalance: Hormonal Conditions
Also, I could conceivably have a candida issue that's causing some of my health stuff. (FUN!)

When I was seeing my amazing doc who helped heal me after 10 years of struggling with a mystery illness, he put me on this supplement to help stabilize my blood sugar. He was really concerned about my blood sugar issues. For a good solid month I was able to cut out ALL the high glycemic fruits, the booze, the chocolate, honey in my tea, etc.

I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I don't consume these things! I pop out of bed in the morning, ready to start the day, I get songs stuck in my head and bop around singing them to myself, my brain is whip smart and processes things so much faster than when I'm all foggy, and I'm actually motivated to get my projects done. So why on earth do I keep consuming these things? ("What did he say about my eyes??")

And it's not as if I don't have insane willpower, I've cut out so many other things that I NEVER thought I would. I cut out coffee (something I thought was impossible), french fries, burritos, hot sauce, curry... oh man, so many amazing things. But after a month of no chocolate & wine & sugary stuff, I was still wanting them. With most things, the cravings had subsided, but not these, oh no. Also, with the boozy thing, it's so much a part of socializing, that it was really difficult to cut out. I was already missing the social aspect of food because of my limited diet, I could *at least* have a freaking glass of wine with my girlfriends and get tipsy and yap about our relationships and then have silly living room dance parties. Giving that up felt like too much torture.
Chocolate and wine are full of anti-oxidants too, right??? (justification alert!)

I get soooo sick of this diet I'm on sometimes, I just wanna throw a tantrum like a 3-year-old and kick and scream and pound the floor with my fists. BUT I WANT MY CHOCOLATE BAR!!!


A few days ago I decided yet again to cut out the sugar. Four days into it and again, I feel so much freaking better! Sigh... So this time, I'm really going to try to stick with it. It hasn't really been that hard. I know I'm going to have my moments, and I am going to have special occasions where I do indulge, I just can't do like I've done in the past and let that one indulgence cascade into a full-on coconut ice cream sundae bender...

I'll report back soon and let you all know how I'm doing on this. Send some good energy my way!


No comments:

Post a Comment